Tuesday, October 30, 2012

X-Men 248: Cradle My Balls

"DON'T WORRY I'VE GOT PLENTY OF WINE!" SAYS THE IDIOTS BEFORE THE HURRICANE. YES VERY CLEVER. WHAT CLEVER PEOPLE I KNOW ON FACEBOOK. ANYWAY, THINGS CONTINUE TO GO DOWNHILL FOR THE X-MEN. HAVOK KILLS STORM? WHAT THE FUDGE?

 WHY DON'T YOU JUMP ON THE TEAM AND COME ON IN FOR THE BIG WIN?

WHOOOOOOOAAAA YOUR LIFE IS A MYSTERY! WHY DO YOU WEAR THAT MASK! SUB ZEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOO!

 ITS A POSE OFF! OR A PUBLICITY SHOT! ONE OF THOSE TWO THINGS!

 OR ADORABLE DEPENDING ON YOUR POINT OF VIEW

NICE BELCH DAZZLER! SMOOTH! GOES WELL WITH THE REST OF THE ONAMONAPIA!

FINE STORM, IF YOU INSIST!

THANKS COVER. REALLY, THANKS A LOT.

Wow, so far no curses. Let's see if I can keep it up for a whole post!

So I didn't get swept into the sea by Hurricane sandy but I did spend some time looking at some horrible facebook posts by people who couldn't stop talking about their HURRICATION. Great, sounds like a fun party for you! Also I think like 80 people dies so far and counting. But enjoy the pinot!

This particular issue is notable because it was one of the first issues my family purchased for me and my brothers, so I read it like maybe 50 times before I even understood what the heck was evening going on. Hah, I said heck. This is stupid. But anyway, we dog eared and spine rolled the bejeebus out of this thing. Back in the day, you see, you only needed like, a dozen or so total comics, since you could read them over and over again until they fell apart. Then you'd annoy your parents for a few more based on how rad the robots or army men looked on the covers (we owned a good amount of Transformers and G.I. Joe comics as a result). I don't really know how we ended up with this issue but between this and a several X-Men Classic issues (reprints of old X-Men) which I also read thousands of times, I turned from an all around Marvel fan who probably leaned toward Spider-Man into a full fledged X-Men fanboy fanatic.

COOL STORY RIGHT?????

This isssue is also the first X-Men comic drawn by Jim Lee. Go look him up, he is pretty famous in the world of comic books. Just this last summer I sat in on a panel he hosted at the San Diego Comic Con. ITS TRUE I GOT TO DO THAT BECAUSE I AM A WINNER. This is very early Jim Lee art but it's still quite good. He'll go on to be (and still is) one of the best artists in comic book history. WHOA IN HISTORY? Yup. As I mentioned, he's quite good.

Plot-wise, Longshot, the blonde mulleted 4 fingered acrobat from another dimension (comics bro), is written out of the book. It's not really explained why, tho. Storm just has some hallucinatory dream explaining that Longshot is gone. I learned from internet sluething that this was becuase Longshot was going to star in his own mini-series, except that mini-series was never made. So he's just sorta gone. OK whatever, so long, LONGshot. HA HA HA WORD PLAY.

Also these terrible villains called Nanny and the Orphan-Maker, who are two robots, one shaped like an egg and the other like Colossus (which was very confusing for me when I first read this book in 1989) fight the X-Men and the X-Men almost lose but then they don't but then Havok accidentially shoots the bad guy's spaceship and Storm was in it and Storm dies. OR DOES SHE?

Come on, it's comics. She valuable intellectual proeprty. She can't die. She'll outlive all of us.

K that's it for another entry. Working from home is really increasing my output here. Too bad storms of the century don't come by all that often. Stupid global warming can't happen fast enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment